12.02.2009

Speed, Sean, and Semester's End

A brief summary of the recent developments peppering my life:

SPEED
As Avery would say, I've taken to using "performance enhancing drugs." As I don't participate in any activity considered remotely athletic, the expression refers to my academic performance with "study medications" or, quite bluntly, amphetamines. I've been using them sparingly, of course, but the usage itself is quite strange, seeing as I've always been against this sort of thing. I suppose one should never underestimate one's fraying willpower during a transitional period. I turn 21 in a month. Adulthood is fast approaching. Watch me retreat back into the foxhole.

SEAN
Sean is a great person. Sean also happens to be my boyfriend. This all came about because I invited him back to my apartment to pick up some extra granola bars at 3 am and he kissed me. Of course, the actual story is far more involved and amusingly complicated, but I think the simplest explanation of our relationship is preferable for this here blog. Pardon my gushing, but Sean has the most charming, big, bubbly, winning, melt-worthy smile that he manages to flash at all the right moments. He also has a Bermuda triangle of birthmarks on his left cheek and I often lose myself right there, in his face...his most perfect face. Sean is very good at talking. He could talk you away from jumping off a ledge and he could talk you out of your pants and he could talk you into doing anything because he always uses the right words. We went to the Met last weekend and as we strolled through the hall of Hellenic statues, he looks around, looks at me, and says "You're my favorite thing in here." I'll never forget that feeling of my heart sinking straight down to my ankles while my they struggled to adjust to the weakness in my knees. I'm in love with this remarkable creature who spits out sentences better than anything Cameron Crowe's ever written. Say Anything, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous....Sean's got better lines.

Sam Griffel says that I'm in the "new car smell" stage of the relationship. Perhaps that's true. Perhaps this technicolor spectacle of blood pumping through my ventricles will give way soon enough to a dull throbbing sensation. Perhaps I'll wake up one morning to resent the indent his body makes in bed next to me. Perhaps he'll grow weary of my laundry list of self-proclaimed inadequacies. But for right now, right this instant, I cannot fathom any of those possibilities. The world may be hurling around me like a hurricane of impending doom, but love is good. Love is good, love is great, love is safety, love is keeping me sane right now.

SEMESTER'S END
I woke up this morning to December. This semester has flown by like hell, and I cannot wait for it to be over. HALLS OF ACADEMIA, I SHALL SHUN YOU IN T-MINUS TWO WEEKS!

Until late January, of course.



No comments: